Note: The information in this article applies to Team Foundation Server 2010.
Assuming that you have already installed Visual Studio 2005 on your workstation, you will need to perform the following steps to connect to your Team Foundation Server:
- Download and install Visual Studio Team System 2005 Team Explorer.
- You'll need to reapply Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1.
- Install the Visual Studio Team System 2005 Service Pack 1 Forward Compatibility Update for Team Foundation Server 2010 (Installer).
To connect to the Team Foundation Server from Visual Studio 2005, the following steps should be taken:
- Open the "Tools" menu and then select the "Connect to Team Foundation Server..." option.
- Click on the "Servers..." button.
- Next, click on the "Add..." button.
- Supply https://tfsXX.discountasp.net:443/tfs/YourCollectionName for the server name where "tfsXX" is the Team Foundation Server for your account and "YourCollectionName" is the collection name for your account.
*NOTE - If you need to find out what server you're hosted on or need to obtain the name of your collection, access the Account Information page in your Control Panel.
- When prompted, supply your user name and password.
- Click on the "Close" button.
- Select the projects that you have access to and then click on the "OK" button.
: If you are a project manager that will be creating new Team Projects or perform other administrative tasks and only have Visual Studio 2005 available, it is highly recommend that you have the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell that's available by downloading and install the Microsoft Visual Studio Team Explorer 2010 - ISO
on your system.