In order for Visual Studio 2008 to connect to a Team Foundation Server 2012 server, you will need to perform the following steps:
1. Download and install Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Explorer
2. Download and apply Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1
3. Download and apply the GDR update for Visual Studio 2008 SP1
To connect to your Team Foundation Server 2012 server from Visual Studio 2008, the following steps should be taken:
1. Open the Tools menu and click on the "Connect to Team Foundation Server..." option.
2. Click on the "Servers..." button.
3. Next, click the "Add..." button.
4. Supply https://tfsXX.discountasp.net:443/tfs/YourCollectionName for the server name field where "tfsXX" is the Team Foundation Server for your account and "YourCollectionName" is the collection name.
If you need to find out what server you're hosted on or need to obtain the name of your collection, access the Account Information
page in your Control Panel.
5. When prompted, supply your sign-in credentials.
6. Click on the "Close" button.
Note: You will not be able to create a new Team Project using Visual Studio 2008 or Team Explorer. To create a new Team Project, you will need to download and install Team Explorer for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012